Monday, November 1, 2010

Redefining Normal

Normal used to be jogging, having a cocktail with friends, mowing the lawn, moving furniture, goofing off with my boys, yada, yada....all the normal kind of things a woman might do on a regular or irregular basis. When you get breast cancer, everything becomes abnormal and your world changes, but YOU have the power within yourself to define your new normal.

Redefine your normal to be something special. Make each new day better than the old normal. You can't lift that big bag? So what....can't mow the lawn? Big deal - there are some fine looking yard men out there. Can't move furniture? Work around it. Normal can be what we want it to be.

As I just told a friend whose mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, this stuff sucks, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is a death sentence.

It has taken me a whole year to truly grasp that. In a nutshell, I had a part of my body reject me and try to kill me. That is very scary. Who is to say is won't happen again? No one. So guess what, my way of redefining normal is (that because I or "they" can't guarantee that it will not happen again) that I promise myself each day to try to be more patient with others, love more, laugh more, and really listen to what is being said.

I only get one chance at redefining this new normal and so I want it to be a good one. If you are redefining your normal, I hope you choose the happier thoughts and the things that will make your days great and special. For me, it's the only way to go.

Wishing you a blessed week and more birthdays ~

hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment