Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day 2010

Happy Independence Day 2010. 234 years ago, this great country gained her freedom, and we still have it. Serving in the military has been a part of my family for several generations and in 2004, I retired from the US Army. Our Flag represents what and who we are as a nation and I hope that those who have the responsibility to lead us always remember how hard our forefathers worked, and the lives lost before us.

It has been a tough couple of weeks, but I shall not whine, for I know that I am lucky. I've said that all along from the moment I found out I had cancer. They found it early, I had the surgery - six of them now, and I've been able to undergo reconstruction. The cancer remains in remission with no signs of it anywhere else in my body...thank you, Jesus. I'm just so darn tired from this bacterial infection I'm fighting that it has knocked me down hard. It's quite scary actually. This too shall pass as my son would say.

Pseudomonas, a not so fun bacteria that can hurt you from the outside, or inside. It particularly likes people with weakened immune systems...people like me. Doctor's appointments a plenty to check the blood and skin, etc. That's ok - be proactive - that's what saved my life in the first place...

Anyway, as each day goes by, I'm feeling a wee bit better. No redness, no fever, and that increases my odds. I'm thinking about doing a lot of things differently, sooner than later. What I mean is I want to visit places and see people I haven't seen and do those things I've been putting off. One thing is for certain; this last year has taught me that cancer waits for no one. With that momentum, I went to see my brother, Tom, who is incarcerated in Polk County. I love Tommy, he is truly the funniest guy I've ever met, and he has one flaw - no, he has two: One - he can't keep his hands on his own property, and two - he has only one kidney. Other than that, he's a good guy. We spent a few hours catching up on lost time. It was nice.

While you watch the fireworks this evening, try to watch them as if it were the first, and last time you were to ever experience them.....Why? It's just an amazing feeling and you become fully present, right there and enjoy that very moment. Love to all for a special and spectacular July 4th.....

2 comments:

  1. YOU HANG IN THERE GIRLFRIEND...... PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS ANTYHING I CAN DO FOR YOU. ANYTHING AT ALL. AND THANK YOU FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY.......
    LOVE ALWAYS, YOUR FRIEND, DONNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Rains - I did your survey. Thank you for taking the time to stop in and post. I hope my survey helps your study. Best regards.

    Donna - thank you, you are a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete