Friday, February 5, 2010

Nine Months Later

Well, it is nine months after my diagnosis. I have been through four surgeries, four rounds of heavy-duty chemo, a port, steriods, tons of drugs, hair loss and an extra 20 lbs - but hey, who's counting??? ME! That's who. I'm counting every single one of my blessings - and every new little hair that presents itself. It has been a long road to get here and I still have "Phase 2" left - that is one more surgery to re-set my implants and create new nipples.

I recently had a CA15-3 cancer marker test done and my number came back at an "8" which indicates my cancer has responded well to the chemo. From what I understand, any number under 32 is ok, but when it rises over that, it becomes a warning that something may be going on. Thank you, Jesus, for giving me a new lease on life. My promise to everyone, and myself, is to not let one day go by wasted and to let people know I appreciate them....because I truly do.

As I was driving along in my little red car with my little chemo fog the other day, a thought occurred to me. What do I wish someone would have told me when all this started....after awhile and time to try to recollect some of the good thoughts and hugs and wishes, I realized that the one thing I wish someone would have said is, "Girl, the next 6 months of your life is going to suck! You're going to feel sick, and you are going to beg God for mercy, BUT you WILL hang in there, and get to the other side of this". Which I'm pretty sure my favorite nurse Leslie did say something along those lines, but I just couldn't remember.

That being said, any woman who reads this, with love and admiration, I tell you this: "Cancer does suck, but you do whatever you have to do to get to this other side of it. You become a warrior and make it your goal to set a positive example for those who follow behind us." That is my charge to you. It is a heavy load to carry at times, but you CAN do it. Know that every evening as I lay my head down, I thank the good Lord for his mercy, and I ask him to gently carry YOU through your hard days.

No comments:

Post a Comment