Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mammogram? Check~

It's been a whirlwind these last two weeks. My son was in town, I finished a class, and I've been working on my house. But, I just logged on to read that one of my friends went and got her mammogram. Ladies, that's what this blog has truly become about - YOU and ensuring that you take the time to take care of yourself, and doing so means getting your annual check ups. Yayyy Donna - now, keep passing the word to other women so they don't forget or get overwhelmed by their schedules.

So, this last week, I also learned that I will be receiving a makeover, compliments of the American Cancer Society's "Making Strides". I will be picked up by a limo and whisked away for a hair cut and color, mani and pedi, and an outfit. We will then be taken back to where the opening dinner ceremony for Making Strides is being held and seated at a VIP table with Mike and Mindy (DJ's). Many thanks to Anne, Lana, and everyone involved in making this happen. I know you've put forth great effort already. I am looking forward to this, it's been awhile since I've felt good about myself, so maybe a little change will help. Funny, that's all this last year has been about...change......keep it coming.

I spent my birthday at Tampa getting my tests and meeting my new Oncologist. Also learned that my right arm has started to swell, so I'm now wearing the compression sleeve. That's ok, it doesn't look really bad and once you get used to it, it feels ok. By design, the goal of the compression sleeve is to get the extra fluids out of the arm and I just remeasured my wrist, elbow area, and the upper arm area and in just two days, the swelling is back down.

In speaking to my Occupational Therapist, Wanda, when you've had lymph nodes taken out, you have to be extra careful with any cuts, bruising, and swelling of the arm the nodes were removed from. It is very, very important to keep the swelling under control, because it is not just water, it is "junk" building up. One of the things she told me to do to get my lymph system moving in the morning is when I first wake up, do 20 crunches/sit ups. That will get that mid-section, that is so critical to the lymph system, moving properly and help prevent swelling.

Keeping the faith till next week when my next CA -15-3 test comes back. I hope the numbers are still down to an "8" or below. If so, that will mean I am still in remission. And I feel pretty good....

Anyway, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, enjoy your day. Wishing you a very special evening and weekend....hugs to all.

1 comment:

  1. Yes get that lymph system moving! I had lymphedema swelling for a while. I was given one set of exercises and then another set. And now the swelling seems to be gone but I am still watching it and wearing a sleeve when flying.

    ReplyDelete